Never Another

That it will never come again is what makes life sweet.
-Emily Dickinson

I read this in this in a cheesy scrapbook magazine at Hobby Lobby while waiting in line the other day. The scrapbook page being highlighted was ugly, BUT the words were exactly what I've known all along. I've always found calendars to be bittersweet...I'm also dramatic. But it bothers me that NEVER AGAIN will there be another October 26, 2009. Time in general fascinates/charms/confuses me, I don't understand how 60 seconds, will ALWAYS make a minute and 60 minutes will ALWAYS make an hour, but what I'm doing in those seconds, minutes, and hours is how long the time is. How can an unbiased unit of measurement be so relative? How is it that 3 hours drags on for days while I'm staring at my computer "working", but only feels like 5 minutes when at dinner laughing with friends? I don't understand why it felt like school would never end when I was overwhelmed with homework and tests, but now as I look back, it was a blink of an eye, even during the busy, stressful moments? I want to 'live everyday as if it were my last', but I get distracted by the day-to-day details and monotony and forget to celebrate the ONLY October 26, 2009 I get. I forget that it doesn't have to be an out-of-the-ordinary-day nor do I have to be in a new city or place exploring for it to be an adventure day, because there's never another today, the journey IS the destination. These are the thoughts that I obsess over usually during my commute to and from work, luckily my commute is relatively short...

Comments

Popular Posts