Miss Saigon

It feels like I have spent more of 2019 away from home than being home.  There have been moments of sheer exhaustion, but I do not believe in saying no to a trip and no regrets!  Dr. Banister used to tell us "You can sleep when you're dead" and he has a beard, so he's like really wise.

Jamie has the most special soul; she's my heart friend, my kindred spirit.  I laugh hard, think deep, and feel understood after spending time with her.  I also have insane passport envy of her and all her world adventures.  Did I leave a beautiful island with crystal clear blue water  and perfect weather for a country full of pollution and beaches of brown water full of garbage?  Yes, without a moment's hesitation, because when Jamie asks you to come on a trip, YOU SAY YES!  

Seriously, it's impossible to resist the opportunity to spend time with her!  

THE MOST TERRIFYING FOOD I SAW THE WHOLE TIME IN VIETNAM!  They still had their teeth!!!
Trying to make Vietnam beach hats a thing...
$8 (USD) massages, yes, we'll be there every day


Surprisingly, this is not the time I crashed the moped
Beach.Food.Selfie.Repeat

An amazing picture I didn't take, but will put on my blog like I did
Dat Vietnam sun doe...
Take this open wound on a brown river tour in Saigon with loose bandaids?  Great idea!

Vietnam was amazing, it was so different than anywhere I've ever been.  I'm so glad I got to go and have the best travel group to experience it with! 

Food I loved (haphazardly arranged):




Trip Summary:
  1. Arrive in HCMC; miraculously find Jamie, eat airport Church's chicken together
  2. Get in a stranger's van, on the assumption he'll take us to the correct place; stop for no apparent reason for 30 minutes 1 hour into the ride
  3. Arrive in Vung Tau and argue about where the hotel is with the driver, him in Vietnamese, Jamie in English, both pointing at their phones
  4. Leave purse with passport in van
  5. Wave bye to van
  6. Meet Jamie's new friends
  7. Wonder to self where passport is
  8. Ask Jamie to figure out how to get it back
  9. Get passport back because Jamie is a good dad and she handles it
  10. Eat-->Beach (encounter locals*)-->Sunset-->Massage-->Eat-->Sleep (x4)
  11. Rent moped
  12. Crash moped
  13. Cry yell at kind stranger trying to help in the middle of the road
  14. Cover wounds in 73,235 bandaids and get on with it
  15. Drop Japanese friends off at the airport and begin 36 hour solo time in Saigon
  16. Re-cover moped owwwies in new bandaids and go on river tour, walk around district 1, post IG owwie updates no one asked for 
  17. Run out of bandaids
  18. Go home and hope your leg doesn't fall off
*Encounters include getting splashed, shot with squirt guns, laughed at, spanked, laughed at more, mobbed and taken pictures of like a Kardashian, stared at

I just had the best time exploring Vung Tau with one of my favorite people!  


Comments

Popular Posts